Designed by David Stevenson and built in 1862, the Butt of Lewis lighthouse stands at Rubha Robhanais, the most northerly point in the Western Isles. Rising 37 metres, the tower itself is unusual in that its red brick facade is unpainted.
The light has a range of 25 nautical miles. Buildings within the complex provided accommodation and work spaces for lighthouse keepers until 1998 when the lighthouse became automated.
Comunn Eachdraidh Nis’s architectural team, inspired by this important landmark, designed a red brick legacy wall at the front entrance, enabling donors to purchase a brick to support the centre’s renovation project; within a year, all 250 bricks were sold.
The Decca Station
The Decca radio navigational system for ships and aircraft became operational in its basic form in the 1940s
The World Wars
At the heart of the community are memorials to those who lost their lives in the conflicts of the last century
Crofting is small-scale, subsistence farming which has sustained families throughout the Highlands and Islands of Scotland since the 18th century